Half-day Tour 2: The Gouda Library / Chocolate Factory and Central Library Utrecht
Libraries:The Gouda Library and Central Library Utrecht
Type of Library: special
Total Distance Return Trip: 110 km
Meeting Point: Ahoy Rotterdam
Price per person: € 15
The Gouda Library ‘DE CHOCOLADEFABRIEK’ – situated in the historical city of Gouda, appr. 20 kilometres fro Rotterdam – is one of the most cutting-edge and innovative libraries in terms of facilities as well as in terms of partnerships and alliances.
‘The Chocolate Factory’ offers a wide range of discoveries from goose feathers and printing presses to virtual reality, high technology and robotics. And everything – needless to say – revolves around ‘Language and Story’.
Our library is based in a former chocolate factory, where we closely work together with:
* the Regional Archive, with whom we organize lectures and courses on (local) history.
* the Printer’s Studio, with 19th and 20th century printing presses where the public can encounter historical craftsmanship.
* the Taalhuis (Language House), a community initiative where newcomers in The Netherlands can learn Dutch and where we offer low literate citizens a broad range of programs for enhancing Dutch language and digital skills.
* the Maker’s Space, another community initiative, where we teach children high and low technology and 21st century skills. The curriculum is based on the STEAM methodology.
* VRSPACE, a private company which specializes in virtual and augmented reality and with whom we develop virtual reality experiences, for example the Glass Elevator Ride from Roald Dahl’s Charly and the Chocolate Factory.
* Mirakel Musicaltheater, a musical school where ‘language and story’ are trasformed into ‘song and dance’.
* Libertum. Interactive Museum for Peace and Freedom, with whom we organize political debates and lectures on (digital) citizenship and other civic subjects.
* Kruim, the restaurant. Hospitality is the heart of everyone’s business in the Chocolate Factory. We pay due attention to a good cup of coffee, lunch, dinner and a glass of wine.
And of course there are thousands of books, lectures on literary subjects, meet & greets with authors, reading sessions and so on. Our colleagues are looking forward to showing you around and tell you all about our activities and alliances.