IFLA – Call for Nominations Academic and Research Libraries Section Travel Grant – 6 Grants available!
The IFLA Academic and Research Libraries Section (ARL), with generous sponsorship by Ex Libris and SAGE, is offering SIX (6) Attendance Grants for the 2023 World Library and Information Congress in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Two awardees will be selected from each of these regions:
- Latin America
- Asia/Pacific region
What does the Attendance Grant Cover?
Each grant covers the early registration fee of Euro 580.00. The Attendance Grant will also provide support for travel and/or accommodation of up to Euro 850.
Applicants must be able to attend the Congress and will be responsible for all other costs associated with Congress attendance. Please see the Conference website for further details about the Congress.
What is expected from the grant holders?
The successful candidates will be required to be onsite at the Congress and participate actively for its duration, including attendance at ARL committee meetings, and the IFLA Awards session, where they will receive their certificates. They may also be required to take part in publicity events during the conference, such as events organised at the two sponsors’ exhibition stalls.
Following the Congress, awardees will be required to write a brief article (approximately 500 words) about their Congress experience. The article must be within 3 months of the end of the Congress and will be published on the ARL Section blog. Awardee’s submission essays may also be published in advance of the conference.
- The applicant must be a paid-up member of his/her national library association.
- The applicant must be willing to share their experience at the IFLA Congress with their national library association.
- The applicant must be eligible to obtain a visa for travel.
- The applicant must declare that she/he is able to fund all other costs beyond the grant that are involved in attending the Congress, e.g. all other hotel, travel and subsistence expenses NOT covered by the Grant.
- Those who have previously received this Grant (formerly known as Essay Contest) are not eligible to apply again.
- The applicant must declare that he/she/they have the ability to attend the conference and are not being prevented to travel to The Netherlands. They should also declare that they apply in full knowledge of COVID restricting policies issued by either their country or institution (if applicable).
Applicants should prepare five items for review by the committee:
1) A covering letter providing:
- your contact details (e.g. name and email address)
- short summary of your employment and/or student status
First-time IFLA attendees, young professionals, students of Library and Information Studies (LIS) and those working in LIS jobs for the first time will have an advantage in the assessment of applications, so make sure you mention this if you belong to one of these categories.
2) A written statement of up to 500 words. The statement should describe:
- how attending IFLA will benefit you in a personal and/or professional capacity, with reference to the 2023 theme of the conference; and
- how you intend to apply the benefits that you have outlined in a practical way after the Congress, either for you personally or for the library/information unit you work in.
3) A cost estimate or budget for your attendance at the Congress, along with a declaration of your ability to fund all costs beyond the grant of Euro 850 and of your eligibility for any relevant visas. At a minimum, your budget should include travel and hotel costs, but please also consider meals, visa-related fees, and other personal expenses when planning your trip. Please note any costs that will be funded by your employer or by other grants and awards.
4) A statement indicating that you have approval from your employer, that if you are a recipient of this Grant, that you have their support to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. (ALSO TO TRAVEL).
5) A statement indicating that you do/do not give permission to share your contact details with SAGE and Ex Libris.
To apply, please complete the application form and send it to Astrid Verheusen, coordinator ARL travel grant, email: email@example.com by 6 March 2023.
Your application must be received by 6 March 2023. All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
All applicants will receive notification of award status no later than 15 April 2023.
Our grant is possible because of the generous sponsorship by Ex Libris and SAGE. Our sponsors want to offer all our grant applicants an opportunity to receive news and announcements of their products and services, and we will be sharing your contact details with them. If you do not wish to have your contact details shared, please indicate your preference in your submission document as per statement 5 above.