Call for Papers — Open Sessions
- 23 March 2023, 10:15
Theme: "Digital Technologies and Sustainability: Say Your Piece in 7+3"
IFLA WLIC2023 Information Technology Section
Topic: Digital Technologies and Sustainability: Say Your Piece in 7+3 (p-32-H-IT)
The IFLA Information Technology Section is seeking proposals for lightning round presentations at its Open Session at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2023 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Libraries play an important role in promoting sustainability through the use of digital technologies. It can be used to support the sustainable development of libraries by reducing their environmental impact, providing equitable access to information, and improving the efficiency of library operations to better serve their communities.
This session is to highlight sustainability issues and impacts from a digital technology perspective. We want to hear about any aspect of your digital technology development that supports the role of libraries in building a sustainable future through the Sustainable Development Goals (https://sdgs.un.org/goals).
We invite proposals for presentations, and topics include but not limited to:
- Sustainable technology infrastructure and equipment & digital carbon footprint
- Information security, cyber security, risk management
- Long term sustainable funding strategies
- Accessibility, open access
- Digitization, storage, preservation
- Sharing resources and technology – open source, open standards
- Crowd-sourcing and open metadata
The format for the session is lightning round presentations, capped at 7 minutes each, and allowed to have 3 Powerpoint slides maximum. The introduction slide will be prepared by the organizer and not counted in the 3 slides. We will have a total of 7 presentations in an hour session with time for Q&A at the end.
Proposals must include:
- Name, title, institution, country, and email of speaker(s)
- Brief biographical statement about each speaker (max 100 words)
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of presentation (max 300 words)
- Language of presentation
Proposals should be submitted to both:
Dr Edmund Balnaves
Chair, Information Technology Section
Mentor, Information Technology Section
All proposals and presentation slides will be required to be in English. Please refer to the Guidelines for Presenters for details.
- 30 April, 2023 – Deadline for submission of proposal abstract
- 15 May, 2023 – Notification of acceptance
- 15 July, 2023 – Deadline for submission of presentation slides
- 21-25 August, 2023 – WLIC
- At least one of the authors must be present to deliver the presentation during the Open Session in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- All presentation slides will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
- All expenses for attending the Open Session (e.g., travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Conference Participation Grants and Awards
A list of opportunities for support is available on the Apply for Grants & Awards webpage.