Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Information Literacy joint with School Libraries
- 26 February 2020, 19:33
Theme: "Perspectives on the role of information literacy education in fostering a smooth transition throughout a learner’s formal education journey - from PK to 20 and beyond"
The IFLA Information Literacy Section and the School Libraries Section invite interested professionals to submit proposals for papers to be presented at their co-sponsored open session on “perspectives on the role of information literacy education in fostering a smooth transition throughout a learner’s formal education journey – from PK to 20 and beyond” during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress held in Dublin, Ireland, 15-22 August 2020.
How are librarians building partnership within and beyond their home institutions to smooth a learner’s information literacy education journey from one place to another? At a macro level, information literacy education happens at all stages from PK to 20 and beyond.
This panel will discuss how public, academic, and school libraries work together to empower learners on their information literacy skills through curriculum-based information literacy education.
We are particularly interested in proposals that explore the following issues:
- frameworks of concrete skills including inquiry process and IL skills enabling a smooth transition within and from formal education possible
- collaborations between librarians (public, school, academic) and their institutions
- collaborations between various libraries in teaching IL
- transitions from primary to secondary school, ideally from the perspective of primary and secondary
- transitions from secondary school out of formal education (i.e., transitions to life outside of school)
- transition from secondary school to university
- teaching of IL skills in the ‘In-between’ places such as workforce-to-college, college-to-workforce, grade-to-grade transition, and beyond
Language of the session:
The language of the session is English. However, presenters may also give their talk in any of the IFLA working languages. Simultaneous translation is not guaranteed; therefore, presenters are encouraged to provide the PowerPoint in English to facilitate understanding of the ideas presented.
Proposal abstracts must be submitted by 2 April 2020.
Abstracts may be submitted in any of IFLA’s official languages, together with an English translation, and should clearly include:
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of proposed presentation (no more than 250 words)
- Format of proposed presentation (please specify all applicable formats in your proposal please):
- Name, title, employer/affiliated institution of the presenter(s)
- Contact information including email address and telephone number with country code
- Short biography of the presenter(s) (no more than 100 words each)
2 April 2020: Proposal submission deadline
30 April 2020: Authors acceptance status notification
31 May 2020: Full paper submission deadline
Please email your proposals to:
For questions, please contact the session planning co-chair:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Dublin. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
The paper must be an original submission not presented or published elsewhere. All papers that are presented at the WLIC 2020 will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Apply for Grants & Awards webpage.