Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Health and Biosciences Libraries Section
- 28 March 2023, 09:16
Theme: "Demonstrating Sustainability in Health and Biosciences Libraries"
Theme: “Demonstrating Sustainability in Health and Biosciences Libraries”
Health and biosciences libraries represent a critically important sector of the profession. They provide health literacy education to health professionals, students, and the community and support research and scholarship that is used to improve the health and lives of the global citizenry.
Health and bioscience libraries are innovative and respond to current needs and demands of the health professions. In this session we will showcase ideas that promote a sustainable future for health librarians and health libraries. The aim of the session is to illustrate how health and bioscience librarians have made a positive impact on the profession and/or
within the workplace.
This open session follows the ignite format where five presenters will each have five minutes to ignite the interest of the audience with sustainable projects/ideas/practices and then collectively respond to questions for 30 minutes. The extended Q&A session will offer a dynamic and interactive opportunity for engagement. We expect the audience participants in the session will leave feeling inspired to take sustainable action back into the workplace.
Presentations may include but are not limited to topics like:
- fiscal sustainability
- recruitment into the profession
- retention of librarians
- rewarding excellence in professionalism
- supporting health professions curricula
- relationship building with a variety of agencies
- developing cultural competency programs to further diversity, equity and inclusion practices
Presenter proposals must be submitted in an electronic format, in English, via the submission form and must include the following information:
- Name of presenter and position or title
- Employer or affiliated institution
- Presenter email address
- Title of the five minute ignite talk
- Abstract (no more than 300 words)
- Separately explain how the project/idea/practice described in the talk ties into the Sustainable Development Goals (no more than 300 words)
- Note a willingness to comply with IFLA’s Authors’ Permission and for slides or other presenter output to be placed in the IFLA Repository after the congress
- Confirmation that you can either attend the IFLA congress and present in person or be able to pre-record the five minute talk for delivery at the session (to encourage a diverse submission pool, one-third of presenters may be selected to deliver a pre-recorded talk)
- 19 April 2023 (Wednesday): Deadline for proposal submission
- 10 May 2023 (Wednesday): Notification of acceptance
- 29 May 2023 (Monday): Deadline for submission of presenter information to WLIC
- 12 June 2023 (Monday): All session details entered for congress programme
All proposals should be submitted through the submission form.
All expenses for attending the open session (e.g., travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.
Congress Participation Grants – List of opportunities for support is available on the Apply for Grants & Awards webpage.
Contact Beth Ketterman, HBS Information Coordinator and Chair, HBS 2023 Open Session planning committee at firstname.lastname@example.orgHealth and Biosciences Libraries Section