Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Acquisition and Collection Development Section
- 17 April 2023, 13:29
Theme: "Best practices for Open Educational Resources in collection development"
Call for Contributions
The IFLA Acquisition and Collection Development Section is seeking proposals for presentations to be given at our Open Session during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2023 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
The session, entitled “Learning from pitfalls and embracing the promises of Open Educational Resources in collection development” will consist of 3-4 speakers, each providing a 10 minute presentation. Following the presentations we will discuss various themes in a round table format, allowing everyone in attendance to share their experiences and contribute to the discussion on this topic.
Theme: Best practices for Open Educational Resources in collection development
Open educational resources are a growing content format that libraries have been embracing within the open access movement led by the desire to make such materials widely available and barrier free. Without need for financial acquisition processes, the ways collection development librarians have incorporated OER resources into workflows have varied. How can collection development librarians ensure discovery of these resources, proactively support such resources via collection budgets, and incorporate them into processes for collection building?
This session aims to share best practices from a collection development perspective; understanding what has worked, and understanding the reasons why some ventures have not been successful in order to improve operational methods. Attendees will learn from the featured speakers but also from one another, and be positioned to bring ideas back to their home libraries for further exploration and implementation.
We invite submissions particularly, but not exclusively, on the following sub-themes:
- Collection development budget support for OER creation
- Integration of OER materials into library catalogues and other discovery tools
- Developing new workflows for staff who work in acquisitions and collection development in order to seamlessly incorporate OER materials
- Ensuring the preservation of OER resources within library collections
Each presentation will be 10 minutes and in English. Presentations will be followed by a structured round table group discussion.
Proposals must be submitted in an electronic format and must include the following information:
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of the proposed presentation (no more than 500 words)
- Name(s) of presenters and positions and or titles
- Employer or affiliated institution
- Contact information including email address and telephone number
- Short biographical statement of no more than 100 words
- Note a willingness to comply with IFLA’s Authors’ Permission form
- Acknowledgment that presentation slides will be published in IFLA’s online Repository following conference
- Confirmation that you can attend the IFLA congress and present in person if selected
Please submit proposal abstracts (500 words or less) by 15 May 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 May 2023 (Monday): Deadline for submission of abstract
- 1 June 2023 (Thursday): Notification of acceptance
- 30 June 2023 (Friday): Full texts of contributions and brief biographies of the presenter(s) are due. Both abstracts and full presentations should be submitted as a MS Word file or PowerPoint by email.
- 21-25 August 2023 WLIC
At least one of the presenters must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the Open Session in Rotterdam.
All presentations delivered at the WLIC 2023 will have slides made available online via the IFLA Repository under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
Authors of accepted proposals must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses for attending the Satellite Meeting (e.g., travel, accommodation, etc.) are the
responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Apply for Grants & Awards webpage.